The Tony Kent Strix Award
UKeiG presents the Tony Kent Strix Award in partnership with the International Society for Knowledge Organisation (ISKO UK) and the British Computer Society Information Retrieval Specialist Group (BCS IRSG). The award is sponsored by the Royal Society of Chemistry Chemical Information & Computer Applications Group.
The UK electronic information Group (UKeiG) is now seeking 2017 nominations for this prestigious award.
The Tony Kent Strix Award is given in recognition of an outstanding practical innovation or achievement in the field of information retrieval in its widest sense, including search and data mining, for example. This could take the form of an application or service, or an overall appreciation of past achievements from which significant advances have emanated. The award is open to individuals or groups from anywhere in the world.
The deadline for nominations is Thursday 31st August 2017.
Nominations should be for achievement that meets one or more of the following criteria:
- A major and/or sustained contribution to the theoretical or experimental understanding of the information retrieval process
- Development of, or significant improvement in, mechanisms, a product or service for the retrieval of information, either generally or in a specialised field
- Development of, or significant improvement in, easy access to an information service
- Development and/or exploitation of new technologies to enhance information retrieval
- A sustained contribution over a period of years to the field of information retrieval for example, by running an information service or by contributing at national or international level to organisations active in the field.
Key characteristics that the judges will look for in nominations are innovation, initiative, originality and practicality.
The information to be supplied in the nomination should comprise:
- The name, institutional address and qualifications of the nominee
- A brief biography (not more than one page of A4)
- A relevant bibliography (i.e. not comprehensive but including the key publications relevant to the nomination)
- A justification for the nomination, of not more than one page of A4, showing clearly which of the Strix award criteria the nominee meets and how the criteria are met
- Additional material (e.g. letters of support - letters from past winners would be especially valuable).
It is possible that the Award Committee will request additional information from the nominators for those nominees considered suitable candidates for the award.
Nominations for the 2017 award should reach the judges by Thursday August 31st 2017 and be emailed to:
John Wickenden – Hon. Secretary UKeiG firstname.lastname@example.org
cc-ed to Gary Horrocks - UKeiG administrator email@example.com
cc-ed to Sue Silcocks – Hon. Treasurer UKeiG firstname.lastname@example.org