ChemDoodle 9.0 released
I just saw that ChemDoodle 9.0 has been released and I plan to have a detailed look later this month.
ChemDoodle 9 is a major revision of every aspect of the software. We spent over 2 years overhauling and improving the cheminformatics engine, interface, drawing controls, image and chemical file types, graphics, and operating system compatibility. In addition to the new features, the entire codebase has been refactored for the current best standards to take advantage of the latest performance, memory and security features of the operating system.
What is new in ChemDoodle 9
- A new user manual discusses all the new features in detail over several pages, too many to list here. (click to load manual, section 1.2)
- Drawing and Graphics – Tons of new systems for making your graphics quicker. Auto-placement of attributes (charges/radicals/stereocenters/etc.). An improved text tool that can create both atom text and formatted captions. Draw chiral carbon nanotubes in addition to zigzag and armchair. New dynamic brackets and structure highlights. Better drawing tools for advanced figures.
- Chemistry – State-of-the-art implementation of the most recent CIP rules. A clearer and more powerful warning system. Advanced implicit hydrogen handling including the analysis of advanced aromatic resonance systems. Full support for the latest elements as defined by IUPAC and much more!
- Interface – A brand new customizable cursor system, improved IUPAC name-to-structure interface. Improved color palettes, now with Rasmol, CPK and Custom color sets. HTTPS support for PubChem is now implemented for access in MolGrabber. Improved color choosers including alpha support and high resolution improvements across the entire application.
- Chemical Files – The Nature style sheet has been added. SMILES interpretation has seen significant work, with a focus on very advanced cheminformatics techniques. Added support for the RCSB MacroMolecular Transmission Format (MMTF). More support for ChemDraw, MDL CT, MRV and ISIS/Sketch files.
- Images – TIFF images can now be exported with custom DPI settings. GIF image output can now have semi-transparent pixels merged with white. Added viewBox attribute for SVG. When saving files, you can now use alternate extensions and other image file chooser improvements. Control which image file types are shown in the save image choosers.
- Vector Art – New glassware graphics have been added as well as dozens of new BioArt.
- Customizability – The keyboard and tools shortcuts are now fully customizable by the user. The user settings folder location can now be controlled. * Custom attribute names and values are now persisted through restarts. Windows – Full support for high-DPI screens, without the manual scaling required in the past. The OLE plugin has been rebuilt for the most current compliance with Windows libraries.
- macOS – Improved and full Retina support. Native file choosers.